CEO warns Nissan may quit UK if country leaves EU

Carlos Ghosn CEO of Nissan at the launch of Nissans new Qashqai model who has warned the car maker would reconsider its future in the UK if it left the European Union

Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn has said the Japanese car maker would "reconsider" its future in the UK if it left the European Union.

The chief executive was speaking at the launch of Nissan's new Qashqai model, which will be built at Nissan's Sunderland site, where the motoring company employs 6,500 workers.

Ghosn told the BBC: "If anything has to change we (would) need to reconsider our strategy and our investments for the future."

Diesel cars in 2018: the background

- Sep 26, 2018

Parsimonious, low-CO2 diesel cars were not long ago hailed as the answer to hard-pressed drivers' dreams: a fuel that cleverly managed the trick pulling off lower fuel consumption, exhaust emissions and running costs for higher miles-per-gallon fuel economy and longer range between refills. What wasn't to like?

Petrol or diesel car

French and Italian car makers led by the Fiat group pioneered common-rail injection and by the late 1990s the premium brigade had waded in; suddenly the BMW 330d looked appealingly fast and frugal, revolutionising the appeal of oil-burners. Britain’s motorists responded in kind: sales of diesel cars soared from just 19% of the mix back in 2007 to a record high of 56% in 2011. But then ‘VW Dieselgate’ happened in 2015, poleaxing the fuel’s appeal almost overnight.

The fall-out from the Volkswagen emissions scandal is still being felt - it’s reshaped Europe’s biggest car maker, accelerated the rise of electric cars and made diesel fuel the public enemy no.1 in some quarters of the media. But is the hype justified? Isn't diesel still a smart choice for many? And what should you do if you own a diesel car or are thinking of buying one in 2018?

- Jun 08, 2018

Before you decide to import a vehicle or vehicle parts into the United States, you should ensure that it conforms to theEnvironmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. Both the DOT and the EPA advise that although a nonconforming car may be conditionally admitted, the modification required to bring it into compliance may be so extensive and costly for vehicles that were not originally manufactured for the U.S. market. It is highly recommended that these prohibitions and modifications be investigated before a vehicle's purchased for parts and/or importation.

Importation of a passenger car, truck, trailer, motorcycle, bus, or multi-purpose passenger vehicle (MPV) that was not originally manufactured to comply with U.S. or Canadian safety standards. Importers of motor vehicles must file an HS-7 Declaration form(available at ports of entry or at http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import) at the time a vehicle is imported to identify the basis for the vehicle's entry into the United Sates.

As a general rule, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards(FMVSS) to be imported on a permanent basis. Vehicles (other than motorcycles) manufactured to comply with the FMVSS will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer in the area of the driver-side door.

You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. The date of manufacture should be identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle.

Vehicles parts - The date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle.

The Clean Air Act prohibits importation into the United States of any motor vehicle, motor vehicle engine, nonroad engine and equipment that does not conform to United States EPA emission standards and requirements. A vehicle is exempted if it has been 21 years or more since its original production year and it is in its original unmodified condition. Vehicles in any condition may be excluded if they were manufactured prior to the year in which EPA's regulations for the class of vehicle took effect. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems. Upon entry, the importer must file an EPA Form 3520-1with Customs and declare code "E" on the form.

To obtain more information, contact the EPA Imports Hotline prior to importation of such vehicles to ensure that the equivalency requirements are met, you may contact them by email at imports@epa.gov or call 734-214-4100.

If you purchase a vehicle that was brought into the U.S. and sold without being properly entered through CBP, that vehicle is subject to seizure.

CBP requires that an entry be filed for the vehicle, at the port of entry. A CBP Officer will process and provide you with the CBPForm 7501 which serves as evidence of the import processing by CBP. Filing an entry is initiated by declaring the vehicle and/or its parts to a CBP officer when you enter the U.S. If your paperwork is in order, the officer will help you file the entry at the border. If you are not prepared, the officer may advise you to file the entry at a CBP port near your residence - however, in many cases the closest port could be 1-3 hours from your home, so it is in your best interest to be prepared to file the entry when you initially bring the vehicle into the U.S.

Without a copy of the CBP entry form, you will not be able to register the vehicle in the U.S.

Prior to filing your entry with CBP:

- Ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original. Vehicle parts will require a purchase.

- Manufacturer's letter/certificate, stating that the vehicle conforms to EPA and DOT standards. Vehicle parts must also be conformed to U.S. Standards depending on the part being imported. (For example: Engine must meet EPA and a Fender must meet DOT standards)

- Completed EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7. Vehicle parts will depend on the part being imported into the U.S.

Note: If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the vehicle was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a letter from the manufacturer. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a letter from the manufacturer.

If the vehicle has not been in your household for at least one year, you will be required to pay duty, which is assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

NEVER purchase a used vehicle in the U.S. if the owner cannot show that it is currently registered in the U.S. and demonstrate that it conforms to DOT and EPA standards.

If purchasing a vehicle from a dealer, they should handle registration for you, if they don't, the purchase should be contingent on your successful registration of the vehicle. (We get many calls from people who unwittingly purchased a vehicle that had been brought into the U.S. and then illegally sold- Buyer beware.)

The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements for imported vehicles. You can get a copy of the manual, entitled "The Automotive Imports Facts Manual" (order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100 or in writing to:

Environmental Protection Agency

Box -J Investigation/Imports Section

Washington, D.C. 20460

For additional information on how to bring a vehicle or vehicle parts into the U.S. for personal use, please reference our brochure, "Importing a Vehicle." and Importing into the United States.


Vehicles purchased outside the UAE can be brought to Abu Dhabi under certain rules and procedures set by Abu Dhabi Customs Administration. To avoid any delay or inconvenience in customs clearance procedures, you have to make sure that all valid documents are collected from the traffic department in the country of export before they are shipped to Abu Dhabi.

All imported goods, including vehicles, undergo thorough inspection procedures at customs checkpoints before being allowed to enter the Emirate to ensure their compliance with the stringent safety requirements set by the country.

Required Documents

  1. Original invoice (for new cars).
  2. Original Certificate of Origin (for new cars).
  3. Export declaration for the vehicle from the customs department in the country of export.
  4. Certificate of vehicle export from the traffic department in the country of export.
  5. Valid vehicle insurance certificate.
  6. Copy of identification document of the importer or a copy of trade licence if the importer is a business person.  

In case of dropping the number plate inside the country, the following documents are required

  1. Vehicle clearance certificate from the traffic department in the country of export.
  2. Title deed (proof of ownership) of the vehicle.
  3. Vehicle number plates.
  4. Copy of personal identification document.
  5. If the imported vehicle is subject to a clearing system, make sure that the clearing stamp is put on the export declaration from the country of export along with a copy of the first import declaration of the vehicle.


  1. Make sure that the car you want to import complies with the standard specifications of the UAE.
  2. Submit the required documents including the certificates issued by the traffic department from the country of export and shipping documents to the customs.
  3. Pay 5% customs duties (value of the vehicle + 1% insurance + cost of the shipment).
  4. The customs will view the vehicle in order to ascertain that the value given in the export declaration is correct. If the value is inconsistent with that of the invoice, you will have to pay the duties based on the customs estimation.
  5. After paying the customs duty, you will be given a certificate of registration addressed to the Traffic & Licensing Department.
  6. Approach the Traffic & Licensing Department to register your car locally.

Special Conditions

  1. You must have a valide residence permit in the UAE to be able to import your vehicle from outside.
  2. You cannot import more than one car per year unless you have a commercial register for vehicle sale and import.
  3. The depreciation of the vehicle should not exceed five years.
  4. When you re-export the car under the clearing system, submit copies of vehicle export certificate from the traffic department and personal identification. You will also need to fill up clearing application form.

Abu Dhabi Customs Administration Website